Saturday, August 21, 2010

What's YOUR favorite technique???

Hey stampers! We hope you've found the projects and techniques inspiring this week. Today Nancy and Kerry want to show you two of their most favorite techniques...

Kerry writes:

I really love experimenting and playing around with different techniques. Over five years ago, I went to an art show in Maryland and saw an artist doing something that fascinated me. This artist painted in layers...Not what you think...paint on top of paint on top of paint...Actually, the artist created his scene of depth and intensity by painting parts of a whole on individual panes of glass then stacking them one on top of the other (with spacers) to create depth. I minored in Art Education in college so this reminded me of an ancient technique of Reverse Painting...but with a twist. So as a teacher, there's always something in me to teach a little. If you want an art history lesson today, CLICK HERE to read about the history of this technique.

When I observed his work, all I could think of was my stamping. I knew this ancient technique could be a stamper's dream...So I tried using clear acetate, ink, my stamps, and of course, acrylic paints.

I created two different cards with the same materials, just a twist on the layout and a few additional embellishments. I used Mixed Greetings because not only does it have some great sentiments in various fonts, it also has little icon images (like the cupcake) that are perfect for cards!


So it was about five years ago that I first tried reverse painting on acetate and I just LOVE it. If you create something with this technique, please share, we'd love to see it!!!

Kerry


Nancy writes:

I'm not a fancy technique kind of gal, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I chose to highlight dry embossing because, above all, it is my favorite technique. The addition of texture to any project is just awesome!! I suppose you could count coloring with Copics and using scissors to cut out images as technique, but the dry embossing will have to do today! I used the adorable set Jungle Pals for my card today. It is a fun, versatile set, and I plan to use this card for a little boy's birthday very soon! For more information about this card, please visit my blog HERE. Thanks for stopping by today...we hope you enjoyed the samples from the design team!! Play along with us, and I'd love to see you send some submissions made with Woodware USA stamps.

5 comments:

Harriet Skelly said...

Wow Kerrie that is a cool technique - it looks like the images are floating! What an awesome result!
Nancy your jungle buddy is sooo cute and I love the dry embossing on the background! I also love to use dry embossing on my cards for that extra dimension!

Anne Harada said...

Wonderful card Harriet! Definitely a technique that is worth trying out! I see it all the time but just haven't done it...adding to my to-do list!! :)

StampingbugKerry said...

Nancy,
I love to use my cuttlebug to emboss different background textures. I don't often distress it like you do. The distressing pulled out and highlighted the "spots" that are on the giraffe's body. Love the square layout too!

Kerry

Rachel Hope said...

Great cards!!! LOVE the cupcakes best because....well, because I LOVE cupcakes! :) But all the cards are Awesome

MaryNSC said...

THAT IS SO CUTE!!! I Love it